Sunday, November 2, 2008

Message From Slackware

I love Slackware Linux for its little messages that it prints out whenever you log in over ssh or a new terminal is opened. Many times, as in this case, I will be completely absorbed in a task and will be furiously oblivious to everything around while I work. I'll log into my Slackware Linux box and a message will pop up that causes me to pause for a second, reflect, and laugh. These messages are always something clever and usually funny. Something that appeals to the inner geek. One that I remember was a very flowery rewording of several common sayings such as "It's no use crying over spilled milk." I don't remember what they all were, but it was fun figuring out which saying the rewordings corresponded to. I wish I had written them down. In this case, it completely derailed me from my task in order to write about it. Thank you to the creator of Slack (Patrick Volkerding) for thinking of such a cool idea. We need more things like that in the world that cause us to stop and smell the roses.

Here is the one I just read:

What goes up must come down. But don't expect it to come down
where you can find it. Murphy's Law applied to Newton's.

1 comment:

jughead said...

no matter where you go, there you are.