Thursday, April 3, 2008

An Analogy or a Metaphor

I am currently in my senior year of my undergraduate curriculum and I have been taking a substantial load this semester. I am developing a project for my Senior Design class, one for Honors Thesis, and another for AI (I will possibly post on these at a later date). In addition to these senior level courses, I am also taking a freshmen level course. That's right, I did something I will not recommend to anyone entering college: put off freshmen English courses until the last minute. I often think of a metaphor to describe my current course load.

"I am ascending a large hill at the apex of which is my goal: graduation and my BS in computer science. My honors thesis is a heavy backpack full of books. It would not be hard trying to climb this hill with only the backpack. But alas, I also have my Artificial Intelligence project which is a large duffle bag I am carrying under one arm. This slows my progress slightly, but it is not a journey-ending hindrance. Then my Senior Design project is a large ball and chain straight out of a Bugs Bunny episode clamped firmly around my right foot, and I am just dragging that son-of-a-bitch with all my might. Now I am still creeping up the hill, making it one inch at a time. On top of all this, my English course is this really fucking small dog that keeps running up and biting the shit out of my left Achilles tendon. This would just be an annoyance, but with all the weight I am carrying up the hill, it is threatening to topple me over."

Moral of the metaphor:

Don't put off your freshman English courses, boys and girls. I am not intending to imply that these courses are unimportant; simply that it is not an ideal situation to be taking a class that, while not necessarily difficult, requires substantial outside time to invest in writing papers, etc. This is time taken away from working on projects. It seems like every time I turn around, I have another assignment in English.

1 comment:

proud MOM said...

If I was your freshman English teacher, you'd get an "A" on this essay.